Sunday, December 10, 2006

Now -that's- a useful day

Movie o' the day: Elizabethtown.
Verdict: Outfreakingstanding. I'd recommend it to anyone, moreso if you've left the South for a while. If you're hitting an age where you're just old enough to really screw up your life, that's also a good perspective for this movie. If you just like good movies, that'll also work. Oh, and I'm sure you can't miss for watchin' with a chick. Oh yeah, there's one explosion even (but not very dramatic), and an almost-stabbing. Yup, that's two almost-stabbings this week for this blog. Even the soundtrack is good.

Other business of the day: Massive amounts of practicing. I've got to play Principal on Beethoven 8 soon. Now, as this will be my first encounter with the Maestro (the thumbs up or thumbs down giver), I've been taking special care to not...how you say...ah yes...suck. Lots of time with a tuner, a metronome, and a microphone. And I'm starting to line reeds up so there is a bountiful supply available. One less thing to think about. In a few days, I'll run the Trio to the 3rd mvt. with the Horns. They've been hitting their parts hard too.

Occasionally, I am dumbfounded that people actually pay me for this. Shh...don't tell anyone.

Finished the D. Sedaris book. On to Umberto Eco's The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana. If you know his work, you know I'll spend just as much time researching his literary/philisophical/historical references as I will actually reeding the book. Thank God for Google, though. It didn't exist the last time I read one of his books.

Damnit, I still haven't gotten the Lee Jung Hyun album. Sometimes I'm so lax in my utter poor taste in pop.

My poor student...poor, poor kid. He got a two hour lesson today because I had the energy (emphasis on "had" as I was thoroughly exhausted post-lesson). The poor guy hopefully knows by now to block off most of the afternoon for his lessons. I told him that I was relentless when I was interested. Poor guy. He must have been a puddle of exhaustion when we were done. Actually playing the lesson is always more tiring than just yelling and waving one's arms (AKA-teaching).

To bed with me. On the docket for tomorrow: Practicing, Messiah, running across town and playing Peter and the Wolf (and perhaps a Carmen Suite if the mood moves me). See you in the funny papers.

(Holy crap...I just realized that Elizabethtown even has a stabbing machine. It's not a stabbing robot, but it's pretty damned close. There's a dark undercurrent running through the blog this weekend. There be evil doings near, I reckon.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol Minor said...

Speaking as a chick, I have to say I didn’t like Elizabethtown. I’m usually a sucker for Cameron Crowe but it seemed like he had enough ideas for about 4 scripts stuffed in there. The last road trip part would have made a great film by itself, but I thought Orlando Bloom was horribly miscast. I agree with you about the soundtrack though.

I just switched to the beta version of Blogger…not really scary, but also not much of an improvement.

12/10/2006 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Actually, this was the only movie where I wasn't waiting for Bloom to get run through with a sword of some sort. Think about it: How many of his movies involve swords?

12/11/2006 08:51:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home