Thursday, August 24, 2006

A Damned Proper Rant

What I despise today: Lack of followthrough. If you say you will do something, do it. Don't let your mouth write a check the rest of you can't cash. Don't start something and then suddenly go silent. How does anything in this business get done when people don't do what they say? How the hell do we even make it up on stage with an audience in their seats. It's amazing.

What would happen to a widget distributer if the widget manufacturer just didn't make the widgets they'd promised that month. THEY'D ALL GET SCREWED, that's what.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that vertical integration is the only way to go in this business. If I want to do a project, I guess it has to be solo clarinet. If I want to record, I'll need to work the damned rig myself. If I want to have something to do with an orchestra, I'll have to hire the damned people myself (a gamble, as there will be other people involved...I'm not willing to learn all of the instruments and play them simultaneously.). If I want to give a concert, I'll have to rent the damned hall, turn on the damned lights, vacuum the damned carpet, play the damned concert, and set the damned place on fire afterwards (I'm not big on cleaning up after myself properly.). I'd have to sell the damned tickets and probably be the damned audience too.

Am I allowed to fire people that don't necessarily work for me?

1 Comments:

Blogger Carol Minor said...

Sounds familiar. I’ve played many concerts that closely resembled exactly what you described. I’ve set up chairs, put away chairs, moved pianos, repaired pianos, tuned pianos, collected money, turned my own pages, and of course printed my own programs.
But I haven’t committed arson...yet.
I also fire people who don't work for me all the time. Try it, it feels great.

8/25/2006 09:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home