Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Quick, Look Busy

RM: Tchaikovsky's 4th Symphony by Szell and the London Symphony Orchestra. The performance is pretty good. There's plenty of enthusiastic playing, especially by the brass players. That's to be expected in this piece, I assume. There's certainly some nice playing by the winds, but nothing that makes me want to pee my pants. I wonder what Berlin recordings exist of this piece? I'm too lazy to check and my pants are amazingly dry.

It was certainly excellent RM, though. Very exciting. I finished my standard route 5 minutes early. That's quite an improvement. Of course, when you're as slow as I am, improving is easy.

Well, the recital plans for next season are shaping up nicely. A wonderful pianist, Jeong Yoon Choi, and I are firming up our programs for next January and beyond. How does this look for the first Jan. set of concerts?:

St. Saens Clarinet and Piano Sonata

Carl Vines Piano Sonata No. 1

-shortish piece TBA-

==intermission==

Berio Sequenza IXa for solo clarinet

Brahms 2nd Sonata for Clarinet and Piano

------------

Well, what do you think? The TBA piece would hopefully be a piece by a friend of mine, but I still need to make a call to NC or Utah...Wherever he's hiding at the moment. It'd be great if he'd write something for us. We'll see...I'll keep the blog posted. (pun intended)

I'll certainly post dates and venues when they are formalized. At the moment, it looks as if we'll be in the Boston area, the Amherst/Northampton area, and just north of Albany, NY. That's for you Yankees out there. We'll also hit VA and perhaps a couple of other places. We'll have to wait and see.

That is, of course, assuming that I'm still in the country...-dum dum dum- (that would be dramatic music) Nope, this time I'm not running from the Federales.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carol Minor said...

Your program looks great. I love the Carl Vine Sonata. Do you know if he has written anything for clarinet & piano?

7/26/2006 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Honestly, I don't know a thing about the piece. Jeong Yoon says it's great, so it must be. It's good to hear from a second source (not that I would -EVER- 2nd guess another musician's taste in music...-grin-).

I don't know Carl Vine's music at all. I suppose that I should check his website, which is CarlVine.com, but I've been a little lazy on that front lately.

7/26/2006 12:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home