Thursday, July 13, 2006

Nerdly Nerdenssohn

Runningmusic: Hindemith's Mathis der Maler as performed by Ormandy and the Philly Orchestra; Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition (arr. Ravel) as performed by Reiner and the Chicago band. This is more like it. I'm starting to be able to coast on the running while really listening to the music. It's a way to keep my fidgeting completely at bay while my mind is focused on the tunes. Also, it doesn't hurt that I get in better shape while getting my listening done. Rock on...

Library sales are the little presents that make my nerdy life bright. For a measly $3.50, I managed to purchase a little gift for today's holiday, Thursday. My haul?

Music:
Wolfgang Steffen Reflexe, Op. 56 for Klarinette solo
Heinrich Baermann Intro and Polonaise, Op. 25 for Clarinet and Piano
Alexander Zemlinsky Trio, Op. 3 for Clarinet, Cello, and Piano
ed. Himie Voxman 78 Duets for Flute and Clarinet
ed. Henri Sarlit 25 Etudes de Virtuisite de Chopin et Schumann

Reading Material:
ed. Paul Nettl The Book of Musical Documents


Frankly, all of this looks pretty neat to me. Some I know, some I don't. None of these are repeats for my personal library.

The book makes me laugh due to the title alone. -The- Book of Musical Documents? Damn (just hear the exaggerated length of the vowels in your head...I'm too lazy to write them out)...Thank goodness I don't have to buy another one. This one even fits in my clarinet bag. Should I just carry it around to keep myself ready for any musicalogical conundrums? How come no one else knows about this little Musical Singularity, a collection of infinite informational density? Christoff Wolff and Bob Levin have nothing on me.

Do they make these in other subjects, like "The Book of Stock Market Documents" or "The Book of Slightly Inappropriate Children's Cartoon Characters Documents"? The possibilities are endless.

I always knew that I was going to be in charge of everything one day. I just didn't know that someone was publishing books to help me out.

On a final note: I've got to play a couple of short pieces for a concert in the middle of September. One piece is to be old music, one new music, but they must have some kind of common thread that I can discuss. I'd love to do Berio's Lied with some kind of Italian Operatic do-dad, but I'm a little stumped on the timing. It'd be great if it were real purdy (not quite Ned Beatty's version of purdy, though), so I can draw a direct connection to Berio's obvious connection to the Italian Operatic tradition. I'm thinking about the Luigi Bassi Rigoletto Fantasy, but I'm afraid that it's a little too long. Anyone know anything a little shorter?

(For those of you scratching your heads: Yes, the Sequenza would be a fantastic choice for this concert given the other times I have to play it this coming season. I'm pretty sure it's about 4 times longer than the presenter would like, though. The audience tends to be little conservative, but with a curious bent. I'm pretty sure they'll trust me for the 4' of the shorter Berio, but might become a little unsettled after minute 12 of the Sequenza when I show no signs of slowing down.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home