Thursday, March 09, 2006

Oy vey.

Just a reminder to those of you who have let your studies lapse: If you don't know what "Oy vey" means or how to use it in context, please turn in your union card and pass along any gigs you may have scheduled.

Remember folks, a minimum of Yiddish is required for work in our business. No, it's not due to any Illuminati-type Concern behind the scenes. In fact, "Oy" and "Oy vey" are the only ways to respond to most musical mishaps. Nothing in English seems to cover the embarrassment as well as dispair necessary for musical exclamation. Of course, we have quite our share of schmucks and putzes in our world too.

("Oy" should not be confused with "Oi" although they are pronounced similarly. "Oi" is distinctly British and frequently requires a mohawk or alot of zippers.)

Oh yeah: I've decided to give up the clarinet (and the reeds) and just glare at people for a living. Everyone has a talent and a calling. I'm lucky that I've discovered this so early in life. I won't forget the little people once I'm at the top.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think giving up the clarinet and glaring for a living, is a GREAT idea!! I'll pay you to glare at people.

3/09/2006 11:43:00 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

I glared at a waitress for not daring to come near my table for 15 minutes once I arrived this evening. She was apologetic and attentive after that. The glare works.

3/10/2006 01:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home